Friday, July 27, 2012

All the Pretty Notebooks

This week I've finally started drafting on my new project. I wish I could tell you more about it, I really do, but I can't. All I can say at this point is that it's a completely different world from my Unearthly universe (although, in some ways, not so much, as this new novel takes place largely in Idaho--at least the settings are similar) with a very different type of main character. Which is a good thing. I love Clara, and I've had so much fun with her for the past four years, but at this point I am getting a bit tired of her voice. It happens.

Love you, Clara. Now be quiet.

One of the things I love best about a new project is a new set of notebooks. These days I often write my draft zero out long hand, so I can get away from the computer and the allure of facebook and Twitter and the tons of emails that await me every time I sit down at my desk. I get a lot more done if I slip off to some quiet place with a notebook. And, like most writers, I am particular about the kind of notebook I work with. I like me a lined journal (college ruled or smaller, if I can find it) that will lay flat on a table. I like these pens I found about a year ago from Pilot that are made of recycled water bottles-- a gel roller with a super smooth line. I love those days when I go through all the ink in a pen in one day of work.

Yes, I'm a pen murderer. At least these pens are refillable.

I've found that one novel typically takes me 4 notebooks, to get from the first draft through the last draft of major revisions. I'm getting quite the collection, see?

Not all of my notebooks, but some: the bottom one is for Maggie's story, which I've been jotting down for a couple years just to understand Maggie and her past, the white and green is 2 out of the 4 of Hallowed, the 4 green with elephants is Boundless, the black and white composition book is--can you guess what that might be? If all goes well you might get to find this out in December or so-- and the top, my new project!!)

So, yay! New project! I have been refraining myself from working on this new book for almost a year now. The story is burning bright in my brain, and I only hope I can get it down fast enough, so it does not burn out before it's all on the page. I have about 50 handwritten pages of notes on the characters and their world so far, just waiting for me to pick it up for serious and draft.


I am so ready! Let the fun writing begin!

12 comments:

A M Yowell said...

I know where that notebook came from! Makes me have a happy moment to know that I made a tiny contribution to this new project!

Cynthia Hand said...

Yes! From you, Ames, from you! I love it so much I bought 3 more of them!

Amanda @Stuck In YA Books said...

awww!! I cannot wait for your new project!! Its awesome that you did Maggie's story!! *possible novella;)* Love the notebooks!!

Anonymous said...

I love the notebooks! And the fact that you share so much about your writting habits and process is really amazing. :D

Good luck on writing that new project down! I can't wait to know what it is. *o* I hope it goes as well as you plan! And, of course, enjoy your pretty notebooks!

Anonymous said...

Oh please let the special notebook be a novella before/after Boundless :"""> And I'd really love to read a book/series about Maggie. She's the best YA mom I've read about so far :D Good luck with your new project. I'm sure it going to be AMAZING.

And oh, CHRISTIAN PRESCOTT. <3

Bia said...

Could the black and white book be for Christian? I remember you mentioning a while ago in an interview that you wrote a little side piece from his POV, so maybe that's it? I hope so! I'd love to read more about him.

Anonymous said...

can you update your page so i can finish the hunt please

Camila and Carola. said...

I read your first book and i can't till the second one comes out in Argentina!
You're a great writer (:

Camila and Carola. said...

*wait till the second one comest out sorry
Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

For a while I was just sitting there thinking 'Who the hell is Maggie?' and then I mentally slapped myself in the face, thinking 'Der Fred, Clara's MUM!' Now I just feel like such an idiot. It just proves that maybe I really should be sleeping... Hehe, what Mum doesn't know can't hurt her. Night!

Zeinab said...

Where did you get those pretty notebooks? And is it possible to find them online?

So excited for this secret project! Although, I wish it wasn't so secret! x)

Cynthia Hand said...

I get the notebooks from various places, but I got the Hallowed and Boundless notebooks from Barnes & Noble, journal section. I am also a HUGE fan of the artist Jill Bliss and her notebooks always make me want to write in them!